The Lusatian League was a group of six towns in Upper Lusatia (a region of Slavic tribes) – led by Zittau, the other members were the towns of Bautzen, Görlitz, Kamenz, Lauban and Löbau – which were important centres of trade and crafts in the Middle Ages. In 1346, these six towns joined into a royal pact of protection which was the formal beginning of the League. The union was founded in order to pursue the knights-errant, marauders and other wandering warriors. This league existed until 1815.
The Lusatian League stood for the unity of the rich municipal patriciate regarding their common interest, especially the towns’ safety. During the Hussite Wars, the Archbisphoric of Prague was moved to Zittau where it stayed for 20 years. However, the Hussites repeatedly marched through the region and caused a lot of damage. The citizens also kept in touch with northern Bohemian nobility for one good reason – to receive valuable information about the Hussites. Nevertheless, they were threatened by this ally who did not hesitate to attack the Lusatians in order to plunder them, even long after the Hussite Wars were over.
In the course of time, the region of Zittau subsequently lost its connection to the Kingdom of Bohemia. At the end of the 15th century, the region of Zittau was already undoubtedly considered a part of the Margraviate of Upper Lusatia.